Texarkana, TX 35° View Live Radar Tue H 68° L 45° Wed H 64° L 42° Thu H 67° L 44° Weather Sponsored By:

Witnesses talk about deadly collision

Witnesses talk about deadly collision

July 12th, 2018 by Lynn LaRowe in Texarkana News

NEW BOSTON, Texas —A Bowie County jury is expected to hear closing arguments today in the punishment-only trial of a Texarkana woman who was drunk when drove into a motorcycle being driven by an Army veteran and father of eight.

Callie Marie Jones, 58, pleaded guilty to intoxication manslaughter but asked that a jury decide her punishment in the Sept. 3, 2017, death of 29-year-old Skylar Crenshaw on New Boston Road in Texarkana, Texas. The state is asking for prison time; the defense is hoping for probation.

Skylar Crenshaw

Skylar Crenshaw

Jones faces a punishment range of two to 20 years. However, if the jury sentences her to 10 or fewer years and recommends probation, Jones will receive a suspended sentence, including a mandatory 120-day jail sanction.

Callie Jones

Callie Jones

"I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me," testified witness Brandi Crowder, who was eastbound on New Boston Road in the right lane as Crenshaw drove in the left some distance ahead of her.

"The last thing I remember seeing was his arm disconnect," Crowder said under questioning from Assistant District Attorney Kelley Crisp.

Crowder and two other eyewitnesses testified that Crenshaw was driving at the 40 mph speed limit. Crowder said she did not see Jones' silver two-door Honda Civic moving into the roadway from Reading Street, but she is certain Crenshaw did.

Crowder and witness Jesse Gray Jr. testified that Crenshaw swerved to the right in an attempt to avoid the Honda seconds before the fatal collision. Crowder said Crenshaw may have increased his speed at the last moment in an effort to evade the crash.

Gray was traveling directly behind Crenshaw in the left lane when the wreck occurred and became overcome with emotion as he testified Wednesday afternoon.

"I was on my way to church," Gray said. "I slammed on my brakes and stopped. I tried to walk up to Mr. Crenshaw. I saw his arm was not with him, and I backed up and just started crying."

Gray said he was so traumatized by the event that he was unable to give police a statement at the scene. Crowder said she too was in shock after seeing the motorcycle break into pieces and Crenshaw's arm severed from his body by a utility pole guide wire.

Latrice Hankins testified under questioning by Assistant District Attorney Lauren Richards that she saw Crenshaw on his motorcycle a few minutes before his death and admired his handsome face.

"I noticed that he was being very careful," Hankins said. "He was not speeding or driving recklessly. He was looking in the mirrors and checking before every move he made."

Hankins became visibly upset and was asked by 102nd District Judge Bobby Lockhart if she needed a break as court staff handed her a box of tissue. Hankins said she was behind a car in the right lane, presumably Crowder's, when she saw the Honda zip into the intersection.

"I saw the motorcycle pieces fly everywhere. I saw him get hit. There was a pole," Hankins said, struggling to remain composed.

Hankins said she went to Crenshaw's body after the crash and immediately knew he was dead.

"People were coming up and I was telling them to get back, he's gone," Hankins said. "They were stepping over his arm, and I had to tell them to stop stepping over his arm, and don't touch his arm."

Dallas Medical Examiner Janis Townsend-Parchman testified that Crenshaw was nearly decapitated and suffered compound fractures in both legs.

Texarkana, Texas, Police Department officers Billy McAnnaly, Brent Hobbs, Jordan Starkey, Aaron Wafford, Rod Taylor and Daniel Linn and crime scene Investigator Marc Sillivan testified about how the crash occurred and how they determined Jones was under the influence.

Officers determined Jones was traveling on Reading and intended to cross New Boston Road onto Crockett Street. When Jones struck Crenshaw, her car suffered substantial front-end damage. Traffic was completely halted as officers worked to collect evidence and take measurements.

Officers testified that Jones smelled of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes and was unable to perform field sobriety tests successfully. Jones consented to have her blood drawn at a local hospital, did not flee the scene and fully cooperated, the witnesses testified under questioning from Jones' defense team, Joe Tyler and Shorty Barrett of Texarkana.

Tests showed Jones had a blood-alcohol level of .30, more than three times higher than the .08 limit at which drivers are legally deemed too impaired to drive.

Jones admitted under questioning by Tyler that she has a problem with alcohol for which she has never received help. Jones, who has no prior criminal history, admitted that she consumed gin, a glass of wine and four or five beers before driving from her home on Crockett Street to her daughter's home about 5 miles away. Jones said she was on her way back home when she struck Crenshaw.

While Jones admitted she is responsible for Crenshaw's death, she testified that she never saw the motorcycle, claiming that her view may have been affected by the sun.

The crash occurred under clear skies at about 6:30 p.m.

"I have an alcohol problem, and I really need some help with my problem," Jones testified. "I want to say I'm sorry to the Crenshaw family. I hope deep down inside you find it in your hearts to forgive me."

Jones has been outfitted with a leg monitor that will alert officials if she consumes alcohol since her release on bond 10 months ago and has not had a drink.

Under cross examination by Crisp, Jones testified that she has driven under the influence four or five days a week for the last six years after testifying that she doesn't really drive drunk "that much."

Jones' daughter and close friend asked the jury to give Jones probation, describing her as a good mother, grandmother and friend.

Crenshaw's mother's grief was palpable as she spoke of the "total devastation" at losing her firstborn.

"Anything he wanted to do, he made happen," Camille Mosely said. "He was well-loved by everyone. He was a beautiful person."

Mosely testified that Crenshaw served in Iraq and "watched friends die there," and that he left behind eight young children.

Crenshaw worked at Red River Army Depot and was an experienced motorcyclist, Mosely said.

Both the state and defense rested and closed their cases Wednesday evening. The jury today is expected to hear arguments from the state and defense on what Jones' punishment should be after hearing instructions from Lockhart on the law they must follow.

A verdict is expected later today.


Getting Started/Comments Policy

Getting started

  1. 1. If you frequently comment on news websites then you may already have a Disqus account. If so, click the "Login" button at the top right of the comment widget and choose whether you'd rather log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or a Disqus account.
  2. 2. If you've forgotten your password, Disqus will email you a link that will allow you to create a new one. Easy!
  3. 3. If you're not a member yet, Disqus will go ahead and register you. It's seamless and takes about 10 seconds.
  4. 4. To register, either go through the login process or just click in the box that says "join the discussion," type your comment, and either choose a social media platform to log you in or create a Disqus account with your email address.
  5. 5. If you use Twitter, Facebook or Google to log in, you will need to stay logged into that platform in order to comment. If you create a Disqus account instead, you'll need to remember your Disqus password. Either way, you can change your display name if you'd rather not show off your real name.
  6. 6. Don't be a huge jerk or do anything illegal, and you'll be fine.

Texarkana Gazette Comments Policy

The Texarkana Gazette web sites include interactive areas in which users can express opinions and share ideas and information. We cannot and do not monitor all of the material submitted to the website. Additionally, we do not control, and are not responsible for, content submitted by users. By using the web sites, you may be exposed to content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of the Gazette web sites and any content on the Gazette web sites, including, but not limited to, whether you should rely on such content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) to review any content that you have submitted to the Gazette, and to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, (a) does not comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement; (b) might violate any law, infringe upon the rights of third parties, or subject us to liability for any reason; or (c) might adversely affect our public image, reputation or goodwill. Moreover, we reserve the right to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content at any time, for the reasons set forth above, for any other reason, or for no reason. If you believe that any content on any of the Gazette web sites infringes upon any copyrights that you own, please contact us pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (Title 17 U.S.C. § 512) at the following address:

Copyright Agent
The Texarkana Gazette
15 Pine Street
Texarkana, TX 75501
Phone: 903-794-3311
Email: webeditor@texarkanagazette.com