LifeShare Blood Center recently experienced a critical blood shortage and was rationing blood to the local hospitals it serves.. Center officials said the blood supply was lower than it had been in years but the community stepped up and donated and the situation has improved.
"They removed our emergency appeal but we're still not out of the woods," said Elizabeth Cunningham, LifeShare regional director. "Our community did respond to the need so we want to give them a big thank you."
Cunningham encourages people to remember LifeShare during the busy summer months.
"Our lowest time is during summer so continue to donate," she said.
People can donate every 56 days and donating blood takes between 30 and 45 minutes.
LifeShare has the following community blood drives in June:
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. today at Walmart, 2400 N. Hervey St., Hope, Ark..
- 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at Central Mall, Texarkana, Texas.
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Diamond Festival, Pike County Court House, Murfreesboro, Ark.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Walmart Neighborhood Market, 3520 Richmond Road, Texarkana, Texas.
- 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Walmart Neighborhood Market, 3302 Summerhill Road, Texarkana, Texas.
- noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Walmart, 800 James Bowie Drive, New Boston, Texas.
- noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Walmart, 1701 E. End Blvd., Marshall, Texas.
- 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Walmart, 4000 New Boston Road, Texarkana, Texas.
- 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at Center Point Community, 210 N. Center Point St., Nashville, Ark.
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday at Walmart Neighborhood Market, 200 Wake Village Road, Wake Village, Texas.
- 2 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. June 14 at Walmart, 201 Hwy. 59 S., Atlanta, Texas.
- 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. June 14 in memory of Keith Wester at Tractor Supply, 708 A E. Collin Raye Drive, DeQueen, Ark.
- 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. June 15 at Walmart, 926 E. Collin Raye Drive, De Queen, Ark.
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 17 at S&S Home Center, 827 Central Ave., Stamps, Ark.
- 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. June 19 at CHRISTUS St. Michael Hospital- Atlanta, 1007 S. William St., Atlanta, Texas.
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. June 20 Cuffs and Hoses, 8005 Mockingbird Lane, Hope, Ark.
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. June 21 at Walmart, 1710 S. Fourth St., Nashville, Ark.
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 21 at Price Hardware, 302 N. William St., Atlanta, Texas.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 22 at Walmart, 2311 S. Jefferson Ave., Mt. Pleasant, Texas.
- 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. June 23 at Walmart, 4000 New Boston Road, Texarkana, Texas.
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. June 24 at Cuffs and Hoses, 128 W. Main St., Prescott, Ark.
- 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. June 25 at Brookshire's, 402 E. Main St., Atlanta, Texas.
- 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Purple Hull Pea Festival in Emerson, Ark.
- 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. June 28 at Walmart, 60 U.S. Hwy. 79 N., Magnolia, Ark.
- 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. June 28 at Wadley Regional Medical Center, 1000 Pine St., Texarkana, Texas.
LifeShare Blood Centers is open from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. To sign up to donate or for more information, call 903-794-3173. The new center location is 4020 Summerhill Road, Texarkana, Texas.