Today's Paper Election 2020 Coronavirus Updates Weather Latest Obits HER Jobs Classifieds Newsletters Puzzles Circulars
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

SEATTLE — Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and the closure of the U.S.-Canadian border, the Victoria Clipper V is suspending service between Seattle and Victoria, British Columbia, until April 30, 2021.

"We wholeheartedly agree with the steps and health precautions taken by Canadian and U.S. government officials to date to reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission through nonessential travel," Clipper CEO David Gudgel said in a news release last week. "Our intent in suspending operations is to hopefully allow ample time to pass so that we may return to service next spring when travel across the border is safe and welcomed once again."

Clipper is subsequently laying off Canadian employees, and furloughing those based in Seattle until its expected reopening.

During peak season, Clipper employs 200 people, just over half of whom are Seattle-based.

"The most difficult part of this whole thing is laying off employees, some of which have been working for us for 30-plus years," Gudgel said in a phone interview Friday.

Since its creation in 1986, Clipper has provided transportation, tours and other travel accommodations between the Pacific Northwest and Canada.

Prior to shutting down, Clipper had implemented more space between seats, to create room for more social distancing between passengers. But according to Gudgel, Canada's extension of its mandatory 14-day quarantine for travelers made it virtually impossible for Clipper to continue its services from the U.S.

The coronavirus pandemic has ravaged the tourism industry, as weary travelers have opted to stay home, and states and countries have cracked down on nonessential travel.

Gudgel declined to say how much revenue Clipper might lose this year, but noted the tourism company took a huge hit from the loss of the summer travel season. Gudgel said he is confident that Clipper will be able to resume services next spring.

 

- - - - - - -

 

Legoland Florida is now requiring visitors who are age 8 and older to wear a face covering while on rides and while inside all indoor areas at the Winter Haven theme park.

The change is in "accordance with emergency ordinance set forth by the city of Winter Haven," the attraction said. City commissioners voted Monday to require face coverings inside buildings, besides homes, where social distancing isn't possible.

Violators could be fined $150 by the city.

The theme park will provide masks — including some in kid sizes — for those who arrive without one.

Legoland Florida, including its water park, and the Pirate Island Hotel reopened June 1 with other coronavirus-inspired safety measures in place, including temperature screenings, physical distancing guides and enhanced cleaning procedures. The attractions had been closed since mid-March.

 

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT