Today's Paper Coronavirus Updates Weather Latest Obits HER Jobs Classifieds Newsletters Puzzles Circulars
story.lead_photo.caption The remains of a mobile home after catching on fire early Thursday morning in Texarkana, Texas. Firefighters found the owner of the home inside, where they attempted to revive him. The home owner was pronounced dead at the scene after several attempts to bring him back. The Bowie County Fire Marshal Office is investigating the fatal fire. Photo by Hunt Mercier / Texarkana Gazette.

A Liberty-Eylau community resident apparently died of smoke inhalation, during a house fire early Thursday morning.

Bowie County Deputy Fire Marshal Scottie Taylor said a Dallas autopsy report indicates that Joe Nathan Thompson Jr., 61, died of accidental smoke inhalation, resulting from a fire, that originated near the home's refrigerator in the 7000 block of West Seventh Street.

Taylor said firefighters responded to the blaze at about 12:05 a.m. and had the fire, which severely damaged at least one quarter of the home, under control by 12:40 a.m.

Taylor also said Sgt. Thomas Cooley with Texas State Fire Marshal's Office, brought in a K-9 unit to determine if any accelerants may have been used in the fire, but no evidence could be found.

Thompson was found laying in a hallway, close to the home's living room. Rescuers performed CPR, however, once he was placed in an ambulance, which arrived on the scene, authorities determined that Thompson was deceased.

Authorities believe Thomson was the only one living in the home, at the time.

Taylor said the home wasn't insured and that the investigation is basically finished.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.