Today's Paper Digital FAQ Podcast Latest Obits HER Jobs Classifieds Newsletters Puzzles Circulars
story.lead_photo.caption Police reported finding several weapons in the vehicle of Aaron Swenson, who was charged Saturday, April 11, 2020, with making terroristic threats. Photo by Submitted to the Texarkana Gazette / Texarkana Gazette.

HOOKS, Texas — Texarkana, Texas, police arrested an Arkansas-side man Saturday night for allegedly threatening on social media to kill a police officer.

Officers arrested Aaron Swenson, 36, following a lengthy pursuit that ended in Hooks after Swenson posted about 10:30 p.m. on Facebook Live his intentions to search for an officer to ambush and execute, according to a Texas-side police news release Sunday afternoon.

Police charged Swenson with terrorist threats against an officer, evading detention with a vehicle and unlawfully carrying a weapon.

Numerous people started placing 911 calls about 10:30 p.m after watching the Facebook Live video online, the news release stated.

Within the live feed, a man said he was driving in the Texarkana area searching for a lone police officer to "ambush and execute."

Aaron Swenson

When officers viewed the video, they saw the suspect was driving a late-model black Chevrolet truck in the area of Saint Michael Drive, just west of Interstate 369. At one point the suspect could be heard saying in the video that he had just passed an officer on the service road, but added that he would have to turn around in order to go get him.

Several officers responded to the area and saw a vehicle fitting the description as it turned onto Kings Highway from Saint Michael Drive.

The suspect pulled into a Sonic restaurant parking lot on Kings Highway, but he immediately fled at high speed once the pursuing officers activated their emergency lights.

Officers then pursued the vehicle as it turned onto Hampton Road headed toward Red Lick, at which time an officer anticipated the route the suspect would likely take. The officer then deployed a spike system near the Shiloh Road and Leary Road intersection. This immediately deflated the suspect vehicle's tires, although he continued to speed until coming to an eventual halt near U.S Highway 82 in Hooks.

Swenson stayed inside his vehicle, with music blaring, while he ignored officers' directives to exit the car. He eventually left the car after 25 minutes and surrendered before being taken into custody.

Officers discovered that the suspect wore an armored-type vest when arrested, in addition to having several weapons inside his vehicle.

Swenson is being held at the Bi-State Justice Center Jail pending bail.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.